Saturday 26 April 2014

Chung Wah, yay or nay?


For food to taste good, it should first look and smell good. That is what I have been told and I believe. It’s the sense of sight which should be pleased first, if it does, then 80% of the time it will taste good too. No wonder restaurants these days are paying close attention when it comes to presentation. That said, there are many ways to cheer me up. One of them happens to be Chinese food. When I was a kid, Kim Lee used to be my favourite but then I visited Chung Wah. The aroma of Manchurian ball curry and the freshness of wantons, it’s yummy in the tummy all the way.

Chung Wah happens to be one of the places which don’t really bother about presentation of their food because the aroma of it does the trick for them. So when my friends and I were discussing where to go, Chung Wah came as the answer from Moni. I was delighted, for obvious reasons, but then she said Chung Wah Opus.

Chung Wah has a number of outlets across the town and as one may come to believe that if food served in one outlet is scrumptious the same follows for the other outlets. In case of Chung Wah this does not stand true. 


Ambience

Chung Waah Opus boasts of its rooftop ambience. I don’t really understand, why would you boast about something which is below average? It is natural human tendency, you tend to hide or not even speak of something that isn’t your best attribute, but these guys have got it all wrong!  Your excitement of a rooftop ambience will come crashing down as you step in here.

However I consider myself to be very forgiving. I was all set to forgive them for lying and their lethargic service only if they offered me good food. Food, that can make me go gaga and sing about it. (I can’t sing for nuts, but I do sing when I am really happy, not giving a damn about what others have to say about it. :P)

Grub 

Have you ever seen Wantons shaped like a fish which you used to draw back when you were just a tiny tot? I was expecting a triangular wanton which screams crispness but, I am guessing it just wasn’t my day. Oily and tasteless, we couldn’t stop bragging about how epicly this dish had disappointed us.
I can eat chicken sometimes, that sometimes is very rare unless its peking chicken from Beijing bites. One of those rare instances was on this day when my friends had ordered a chicken starter and asked me to give it a shot. Honestly I can’t judge correctly on how good chicken should exactly taste like because i haven’t tried enough of it but I can say with affirmation that this one positively doesn’t fall under that category.



Wantons, only if they tasted like one!


Chicken. Unfortunately it didn't taste as good as it looks!


Then came the main course! Szechwan rice, noodles, potato pepper curry and something vegetable paneer graced the table. I don’t even remember the name, that itself says a lot about the dish. Szechwan fried rice and potato pepper curry is something standard which I order every single time. Why? Because I love it, trust me there is nothing like it. From the look of it you might wonder how can soggy fries bathing in curry taste good? Well, all I can say is you got to try it to know it. Oh and the fries don’t really taste soggy, so no worries there, I say!



Szechwan rice


Szechwan Noodles


Curry for the sweet tooth!



Szechwan Rice at Chung Wah, Brigade road. See the difference?


And my all time favourite, chilli potato curry.


The first time I visited Opus, the food was average, but the second time, it turned out to be below average. The place is going from bad to worse. *Sigh*.
The waiters here give lethargy a whole new meaning. Must say, they are very inconsistent when it comes to serving their customers.

The entire grub made me think why would opus do this? I mean, when it comes to Chung Wah I speak highly of it. I have enjoyed a hearty meal at many Chinese restaurants across the city, but even till this day I would regard Chung Wah as the best one. They know exactly how to please the customers with their food. Be it Chinese or Thai they know their food well.

But one bad outlet can make other outlets run out of business too. Thankfully the bill didn’t burn a hole in our wallets or I wouldn’t have stopped complaining at all.
So here’s what I am going to tell you, if you want to get back at someone and that someone happens to be a foodie,I recommend this place. Revenge is way sweeter when the person (foodie) is having the worst time of his/her life.

I still say Chung Wah is one of the finest Chinese restaurants in town. The Brigade road outlet has great food and a decent ambience, which will do a whole lot good to you.  Avoid Chung Wah opus and visit the Brigade road one, you won’t be disappointed. J


Quick Takes

Rating – For Chung Wah Opus – 1/5
               For Chung Wah, Brigade road outlet – 4/5

Cost for two – 500/- for a scrumptious two course meal.

Why you should go here – Like I said avoid opus but the brigade road outlet, go for the value for money it offers.

Must Haves – Manchow soup, Vegetable wantons, Veg Manchurian ball curry and Potato pepper curry.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is just too amazing. Every time I read it its only helping me to add on places to visit and not to in my kitty. !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Shreya! :) I am glad I can be of help!

    ReplyDelete